Saturday, September 6, 2008

blog vision

Warning – I am verbose

I have been thinking about this first entry for some time. Many excuses delayed my work, none of them valid. Maybe the most erroneous is my desire to start by writing something profound.
Beyond my own pride, I do want to move people. I want to move beyond ourselves. I want to be moved from one-sided ideologies. I want to be moved beyond one liners and immediate responses.

I am seeking that discourse which founded this country in greatness. I am looking for those who are capable of inspiring all of us to reach beyond ourselves. This is the purpose of this blog, not myself or some sullied need for accolades.

This is more than a political debate. This is my pursuit of those philosophies and ideas that transcend. I am searching for the missing elements of national conversation that enable us to rise above ideology.

The purpose of this blog is to discuss what a statesman is, our present lack of such, and our role in the deterioration of our public discourse. The purpose is not to redefine statesmanship, but to reestablish it.

First, an admission that the existing body of knowledge is so vast that I, among nearly everyone, can not claim to possess all wisdom. I do have strong viewpoints, and those are based on that knowledge I do possess. I believe I am right…nearly all the time.
With that said, my favorite and most rewarding discussions are with those who challenge me. I have many friends of the same thinking and many who share none of my views. The common element between these individuals is respect. It is this that enables learning and to lose it is, in my estimation, to lose everything. I not only welcome opposing views, I seek them. I want to learn, to trade ideas and explore/develop philosophies just as those during the enlightenment and great awakening did.

A few words on compromise. I don’t view compromise necessarily as the positive outcome so many espouse today. To compromise is not the goal of any discussion I enter into. I think that someone who compromises does not give up their ideas but gives up their principals.
Compromise in terms of perspective is negative. We should seek to transcend, rise above, better our individual thoughts, not compromise and seek the lowest common denominator. Some may suggest this is semantics. I disagree.
The goal of deliberation should be to find the best ideas, not those that are palpable. I believe that the best ideas come when we debate them with like and opposing views, let go of our need to be right and find the best in each. I think this will generally be something comprised very little of our original ideas, hence my different view on compromise. The best ideas are often those never seen. I think compromise disallows those ideas never thought of.

We discover that which can only be found when we seek to move forward and not entrench ourselves in our own position. These new discoveries transcend what we know today and show us where we can be tomorrow. This is statesmanship of which we are sorely lacking today.

A few ground rules for my blog. I don’t allow name calling, cussing or unfiltered brain to mouth responses. I believe one who has to resort to this has nothing of value to add and has lost an argument. While we seek those qualities of statesmen in our leaders, we can be such here.

Politics is a contact sport. Athletes exhibit sportsmanship, why don’t we demand statesmanship from our politicians.

No comments:

Preamble to the Constitution of these United States of America

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Declaration of Indepandance at the bottom of page

Please be sure to read the begining of the Declaration of Independance at the bottom of this page